Browse Category

Printmaking

Lino printing

lino-cutting1Over the past couple of weeks I have been experimenting with lino printing. I dabbled with this at college on my art foundation course (which feels like a lifetime ago) and remember it being quite fun to do.

I’m always taking photos of flowers and plants, so this seemed like a natural place to start. These are a few photos I took during the summer:berries

flower

flowers2

flowers3

leaves1

I wanted to keep the design simple but interesting. I really like 50’s textile designs and the outline style of the images in ‘The Secret Garden’ book by Johanna Basford.

secret-garden-book

I started by doodling some simple flowers in my sketchbook before drawing up a design approx 10cm square.flower-doodles
flower-doodles2

I drew the final design onto tracing paper, then traced this onto the piece of lino (remembering that the finished design would be in reverse). I bought a selection of lino cutters and set to work cutting around the design. Its very easy to slip and cut through a bit of lino that you wanted to keep but thankfully this didn’t happen too often. I also made myself a small wooden cutting frame that mean’t I was guaranteed to keep my hand BEHIND the lino cutter!

lino-cutting2

lino-cutting3

Using a black, water-based, block printing ink and rubber rollers this is one of my first prints…

lino-print1

…which I then added a few hand-painted colours to…

lino-print-colour1

As I remembered, this was a lot of fun to do 🙂

Re-upholstered dining chairs

Having completed an intro to upholstery course at The Good Life Centre, I was itching to have a go myself. We needed some decent dining chairs (to replace the folding Ikea chairs we were using) and I found some good quality Stag chairs in a local charity shop for a real bargain.

Rather than cover them in shop-bought upholstery fabric I opted to create my own design and get that printed. I did two colour-ways with the idea of having two blue chairs and two green chairs, got a metre of canvas printed by bagsoflove.co.uk and cut this into four pieces.

Blue textile design

 

green-textile-design

The original chairs were looking tired and in need of some tlc.

Dining chair before

The base of the chairs were held in place with four screws. Once all the foam and fabric was removed I was left with a flat hardwood base. I bought 1″ foam from my local upholstery shop, which I fixed in place with upholstery spray glue and used a staple gun to attach the fabric.

These are the finished chairs, which are a colourful addition to the kitchen and are really comfortable too.

Four dining chairs

 

upholstery-green-chair

 

upholstery-blue-chair