Browse Category

Surface pattern

Pin cushions

Various pin cushions
Various pin cushions

I’ve been looking for ways to turn unwanted items into something useful. On this occasion, an old pickling jar, screw-top lid and jewellery packaging have been transformed into much-needed pin cushions.

Coffee table decoupage

coffee table

My husband rescued this table from a skip a few years ago. Its a very sturdy build and although its not the prettiest of tables we are reluctant to get rid of it and have always found it useful. Since we’ve had it it has gone through a few stages of redecoration, the latest being the addition of the decorative table top.

coffee table top

I’d seen and liked the idea of a clear table top that had space to display different pictures/photos underneath it. I take literally hundreds of photos a year and, with the majority being digital, its easier to keep them on a computer and view them on the screen (on those rare occasions).  This piece enables me to display some of my photos and can be updated easily in the future. The images I chose were inspired by a trip to Turkey and uses photos taken on our honeymoon there. Having selected my favourite photos I then combined them to create a tile pattern.

coffee table pattern

The pattern is very effective and as it is covered with perspex, this makes it very practical too.

Re-upholstered dining chairs

Having completed an intro to upholstery course at The Good Life Centre, I was itching to have a go myself. We needed some decent dining chairs (to replace the folding Ikea chairs we were using) and I found some good quality Stag chairs in a local charity shop for a real bargain.

Rather than cover them in shop-bought upholstery fabric I opted to create my own design and get that printed. I did two colour-ways with the idea of having two blue chairs and two green chairs, got a metre of canvas printed by and cut this into four pieces.

Blue textile design



The original chairs were looking tired and in need of some tlc.

Dining chair before

The base of the chairs were held in place with four screws. Once all the foam and fabric was removed I was left with a flat hardwood base. I bought 1″ foam from my local upholstery shop, which I fixed in place with upholstery spray glue and used a staple gun to attach the fabric.

These are the finished chairs, which are a colourful addition to the kitchen and are really comfortable too.

Four dining chairs