Browse Category

Workspace

Mid-century sideboard

In our design studio we’ve been looking to replace a rather large storage unit with something smaller. The room doubles up as a work space and a guest bedroom but space is of a premium. The old piece of furniture we wanted to replace, although useful, did take up too much space and was a good excuse to hoard ‘stuff’ that didn’t really need to be there. So we wanted to find something smaller, that was cheap and we could ‘do up’.

In the local area, there are a large number of secondhand, house-clearance shops that I regularly browse around. We visited one of these shops that has a huge amount of furniture stacked floor to ceiling. And it’s here where we found our mid-century sideboard.

original-sideboard1

The top section had two shelves (which I took off to paint). The bottom sliding cupboard had shelves on the left and three drawers on the right.

original-sideboard2

I began by mixing a chalk paint solution using plaster of paris and grey emulsion. I lightly sanded down the furniture and applied the paint to the back and sides.

Once that had dried I pasted wallpaper on to the top section and front cupboard door. The back cupboard door and drawer fronts were also painted in a chalk paint solution using colours to compliment the wallpaper.

As we’ll put the printers on the bottom shelf we drilled a large hole in the back to feed the cables through.

This is the finished piece…

final-cupboard1

…and the drawers…

final-cupboard2

…and in situ…

final-cupboard3

We love it!

My craft shed – part 2

Well, having (patiently) waited for my shed to be made the delivery day finally arrived! As part of the shed company’s service, they also deliver and construct the shed for you (win win) and it takes less than 30 mins!!? So we timed them…

new-shed-base

They laid the floor in less than 10 minutes…

new-shed-construction

To construct three walls took a further 15 minutes…

new-shed-complete

And the shed was completed in under 30 minutes. Awesome! Obviously for them to achieve this they had built everything offsite and it was a simple bolt-it-together job. I say simple, but I’m glad they did it and not us…

new-shed-inside

Then for the fun bit. I painted the inside white, to keep it light and bright, wanting it to resemble an art studio. I really like the extra window at the end, which not only provides additional light but also means I can keep an eye on the chickens!

new-shed-interior

This was my first attempt at loading up the shed with my crafting bits and bobs. It didn’t flow very well and I felt boxed in. A bit of rearranging will fix this.

new-shed-fudge

But in the meantime, the shed certainly has someone’s approval!

My craft shed – part 1

old-shed

This had been my little garden shed for a few years. At 4′ x 5′ it was the perfect size to fit the existing foundations of the previous shed and big enough/cheap enough to hold all the usual gardening/decorating stuff.

However, due to me regularly taking over the kitchen table to do my craft work (and damaging the table slightly – eek!) plus taking over the limited storage space in our flat with my crafting tools and other paraphernalia, we decided it was time to get a new, slightly larger shed that I could use as a crafting space and for storage. Yay!

old-shed2

We set to work on dismantling the old shed, only to discover that the shed had been holding up the neighbour’s fence!  We removed the collapsing fence panels and thankfully the neighbour’s landlord did eventually repair the fence.

As the new shed was going to be bigger (approx 5′ x 11′) we needed to extend the base. After reviewing our options it seemed that the simplest solution was to use an interlocking plastic shed base system. We calculated how many we needed, ordered a few extra, and they arrived a couple of days later.

old-shed-base

The first job was to level the ground using a rake. Its worth taking time over this and walking over the ground to make sure it is compact. Then once this was done we laid weed control fabric on to the soil. We measured and marked out exactly where we wanted the shed to be positioned and then lay down the grid squares before interlocking them together. Using some of the ballast we had removed at the levelling stage we filled the grids to create a solid base. This method was so much easier and quicker to lay than concrete and it does mean it can be easily removed at any time in the future, plus the results were great.

The next step was to order the shed. Having researched many, many shed companies, during the previous weeks, we finally opted for a local business that would build you a bespoke shed exactly as needed. Perfect! We met with the company, discussed our requirements and placed our order. The only downside is the 6-8 week wait…noooooo. I guess that is the price you sometimes pay for using a small family business with a strong reputation. Oh well, for the next couple of months I will just need to be very patient. At least the cats can enjoy the short-cut into next door’s garden lol.