Edwardian tiled floor restoration

We live in an Edwardian home and when I pulled up the carpet in the hallway I was really excited to find the original black and white tiles there. I was relieved to find the majority of the floor was in good condition with only a few small patches that had been filled in with concrete.

edwardian floor restoration

The first job was to clean off all the carpet glue and paint splashed. We used patio brick cleaner and a lot of elbow grease.

edwardian floor restoration

The floor came up really well. The next step was to dig out the patches of concrete. This proved to be more challenging and required brute force and unfortunately this loosened considerably more tiles than we expected. The troubled patch doubled in size!

The first job was to clean off all the carpet glue and paint splashed. We used patio brick cleaner and a lot of elbow grease.

The loose tiles were easy to put back in place but I really didn’t want to use reproduction tiles to replace the missing tiles. After a bit of searching online I was fortunate to find someone on Ebay who had just replaced their outdoor Edwardian path and had literally thousands of the tiles for sale. These tiles were extremely dirty, with 100 years of London pollution ground in to them, but they did eventually clean up.

edwardian floor restoration

Once all the tiles had been stuck in place and grouted, I gave them a coat of sealer to finish them off. We’re really pleased with the finished product (and probably saved £100’s by undertaking this ourselves).

edwardian floor restoration

Chaise longue restoration

chaise longue before

I was kindly given this chaise longue by my mother-in-law as she no longer had the room for it. I’ve always wanted one and thought it would be a good challenge for my next upholstery project. The fabric and foam were in a poor state (and had lovingly been used as a scratching post by the resident cats!).

I found the most challenging part was removing the old fabric and foam. It’s a repro piece of furniture and had literally been stapled within an inch of its life. It took me weeks to get it back to the basic shell. Luckily for me the piece of furniture was bolted together, so came apart easily leaving me with a base, back rest and arm rest – and thankfully no springs or buttons to deal with (I’ll be happy to tackle these skills later on but not for my second project).

I bought some lovely turquoise velour fabric from ebay and used the old fabric as a template. I bought some new thick foam (6″ for the base and 2″ for the back and arm rest) and rebuilt the chaise in a couple of days. Here’s the finished result.

chaise longue after

This is now being lovingly used by our resident cats!

Fudge on chaise longueDaisy on chaise longue

Re-upholstered dining chairs

Having completed an intro to upholstery course at The Good Life Centre, I was itching to have a go myself. We needed some decent dining chairs (to replace the folding Ikea chairs we were using) and I found some good quality Stag chairs in a local charity shop for a real bargain.

Rather than cover them in shop-bought upholstery fabric I opted to create my own design and get that printed. I did two colour-ways with the idea of having two blue chairs and two green chairs, got a metre of canvas printed by bagsoflove.co.uk and cut this into four pieces.

Blue textile design



The original chairs were looking tired and in need of some tlc.

Dining chair before

The base of the chairs were held in place with four screws. Once all the foam and fabric was removed I was left with a flat hardwood base. I bought 1″ foam from my local upholstery shop, which I fixed in place with upholstery spray glue and used a staple gun to attach the fabric.

These are the finished chairs, which are a colourful addition to the kitchen and are really comfortable too.

Four dining chairs





Re-upholstered vintage stool

upholstery stool

I’d been given a chaise longue to re-upholster and as I’d not attempted any upholstery before I decided to look for an intro to upholstery course. I found a really good one at the Good Life Centre in London, that aimed to demistify upholstery for beginners. I attended the one day course, taught by practicing upholsterer Rachael South, and she covered all the basics. It was a really fun day and this is the stool I reupholstered.

Mosaic garden table

Mosaic garden table

Shortly after we had moved house and we were still without broadband, I was getting a bit restless and started looking for a new project. We had been given a glass-top garden table and it was just crying out to be decorated with mosaic.  Using my favourite blue tiles I created the outline for the pattern and then filled the spaces with broken white tiles, mosaic tiles and broken mirror.